Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Ever the charmer...

Fresh from being labelled a "drink-sodden ex-Trotskyist popinjay" the Hitch pitched up at the Hay festival to "discuss sibling rivalry, politics and reconciliation" with his brother Peter (courtesy of the Guardian).

Those of you partial to jokes about the Red Army should enjoy it but its well worth its worth a read. Go to:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1495857,00.html

Would have been good to have been there, with CH sounding as entertaining as usual, but may not be a good idea to question the expression of his nictotine habit...

Female audience member Excuse me. I'm not usually awkward at all but I'm sitting here and we're asked not to smoke. And I don't like being in a room where smoking is going on.
CH (smoking heavily): Well you don't have to stay darling, do you? I'm working here and I'm your guest, OK? And this is what I'm like; nobody has to like it.
IK Would you just stub that one out?
CH No. I cleared it with the festival a long time ago. They let me do it.
FAM We should all be allowed to smoke then.
CH Fair enough. I wouldn't object. It might get pretty nasty though. I have a privileged position here, I'm not just one of the audience, so it would be horrible if everyone was like me. This is my last of five gigs, I've worked very hard for the festival. I'm going from here to Heathrow airport. If anyone doesn't like it they can kiss my ass.
IK Would anyone like to take up that challenge?
(Laughter. Woman walks out)