Monday, November 20, 2006

The New Collective Noun Campaign!

There's a sexy blog post title. It was going to be entitled 'Lazy post to remind occasional readers that I do still have access to a keyboard' but I omitted that in the interests of brevity.

Last week I was standing outside the Holland & Barratt on Villiers Street - it is the place to be - when a young girl came up to me and asked 'Do you want to end world poverty?'

Fearing that this may involve several years of diplomacy, a Phd. in economics, reform of the EU, an overhaul of the UN, and the establishment of participatory democracies in countries currently subject to tyrannical regimes, I politely replied 'No...not at the moment'*. While this encounter failed to illicit an appropriate level of charity in me it did make me think that our society is in desperate need of some new collective nouns....Here's a few half-arsed suggestions of my own but I'd be grateful to hear your contributions:

A nuisance of chuggers
An obesity of teenagers
A Hello of celebrities
An audit of accountants
A monotony of home-improvement programmes
A draught of real-ale campaigners
A clutch of Kwik-Fit fitters
A mute of chat-show hosts
A shower of meteorologists
A shoal of anglers
A blog of self-publicists


All other suggestions will be gratefully received...

*Jimmy Carr: A lady with a clipboard stopped me in the street the other day. She said, “Can you spare a few minutes for cancer research?” I said, “All right, but we’re not going to get much done.”

4 Comments:

At 21 November, 2006 13:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Vanity of Parliamentary Researchers?

A Branson of Bearded Morons?

El Sid.

 
At 25 November, 2006 20:46, Blogger jams o donnell said...

A massacre of Advertising Executives.. Sorry that was just wishful thinking...

 
At 27 November, 2006 16:11, Blogger Paul E. said...

If you had trackbacks enabled, you'd have seen this:

http://nevertrustahippy.blogspot.com/2006/11/collective-nouns-and-regendering.html

;-)

 
At 27 November, 2006 16:18, Blogger The Thimble said...

Thanks Paulie...if I knew how to do it I'd have trackbacks enabled immediately...I need to go back to blog-school.

Bear with me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home