Monday, March 07, 2005

Thimbles

So why 'The Thimble'?

As one who likes to maintain an air of mystery - rather than a pied a terre in Islington - I shall, for now, refrain from explaining why I have chosen 'The Thimble' as my nom de bloguerre. Suffice to say that those who know, know and those who don't know, don't know (to speak in Rumsfeld-ese for a moment)

If you'll forgive me though I want to refer you to an article by Barbara - yeah, you know, Barbara thingy, that thimble collector - who talks about the joys of said hobby.

http://www.about-antiques.com/thimble_article.htm

I know what you're thinking - "that boy sure does his research" and "why did this page come up in a Google search?" - but if you read the article, and it really is worth a read, then the following passage stands out:

During Word War I, thimbles also became a type of currency. It breaks my heart to relay this story, but in England 350,000 to 400,000 sterling thimbles were donated and melted down in order to buy much needed hospital equipment.

Those poor innocent Thimbles sent to their deaths. And for what? Truly Owen was right when he wrote "The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est Pro patria mori.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home